Chapter 1: Cornelius Fudge
- When Harry is at the Quidditch pitch, reflecting with relief that there will be no one in the castle to become victims of the monster of Slytherin, Professor McGonagall shows up to say that the monster has struck again, and that everyone should return to their dormitories, presumably to keep them safe. However, the students would have been far safer to remain at the pitch while the professors checked the castle again.
- It is written that “Harry had inherited just one thing from his father: a long and silvery Invisibility Cloak”. This is untrue, as we find out in Chapter 5, Diagon Alley in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, that Harry also inherited James and Lily’s gold, kept at Gringotts.
- This is probably intended to mean that he only inherited one actual item, as opposed to a commodity such as money.
Chapter : The Dark Lord Ascending
- With the death of Albus Dumbledore, Severus Snape should have become a secret-keeper for the location of 12 Grimmauld Place, and thus could have revealed that information to Voldemort. Perhaps Moody’s Tongue-Tying Curse was keeping him from disclosing the information, but if that were the case, the casters of the Fidelius Charm could have used the curse more often to prevent the sort of treachery that led to Lily and James Potters’ deaths.
- More likely he did become a secret-keeper, but hid this fact from the Death Eaters due to his true loyalty secretly being to Dumbledore, and since Voldemort did not know Dumbledore was the Secret Keeper, he wouldn’t suspect Snape. It is also possible that Snape indeed told Voldemort, but the latter believed it was worthless to go there since the Order would have changed their headquarters.
Chapter : The Letters From No One
- Dudley: “Dad! Look, Harry’s got a letter!”
- Uncle Vernon: “What? Who’d be writing to you?”
- Vernon Dursley taking Harry’s letter from him
Hundreds of letters arriving at the fireplace
Ever since the boa constrictor escaped from the zoo, Harry was locked in his cupboard for the longest time ever. When Harry is finally allowed out, it’s the beginning of the summer holidays. Even though he is not at school, Harry still can’t escape Dudley and his gang, who regularly visit the house. To keep out of their way, Harry usually wanders around Privet Drive. He is glad, however, that Dudley and Piers are going to Smeltings Academy, while Harry is going to attend Stonewall High. One day during the summer, Harry is told to get the post for Uncle Vernon. When Harry goes to get the mail, there are three letters: a postcard from Uncle Vernon’s sister, who is on holiday in the Isle of Wight, a letter that looks like a bill, and a letter for Harry. Harry takes the letter, studies the yellow parchment it is made of, then reads the address:
Mr H. Potter
- Hagrid telling Harry that he is a wizard
Rubeus Hagrid enters the cabin
Recommended Reading: How Old Is Harry Potter In Deathly Hallows
Sell Your Harry Potter Books To We Buy Books
If you’ve got a collection of Harry Potter books you don’t want, it’s a great time to have a little clear out and generate some cash in the process.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Enter the ISBN number into our price generator or use the We Buy Books app to scan your books for faster checkout.
2. Get an instant valuation, accept your offer and pick your payment method.
3. Box your items, print the postage label and send with our designated courier for FREE.
4. Relax! Once weve received your items, well check them and pay you the next day.
Chapter : Bagman And Crouch
- When Fred and George bet on the Quidditch match with Bagman, it says Fred put the paper with their wagers in his robes, but Fred was wearing Muggle clothing.
- When the Weasleys, Hermione and Harry arrive at the camp site for the Quidditch match, they have to use a map to find where they set up their camps. Yet Percy, Bill, and Charlie are able to find them right away after Apparating in the woods. This is proved by Percy saying, “Just Apparated, Dad” as soon as they emerged from the woods. It seems impossible that the three could have found their camps that quick, unless Mr Weasley had sent a message to his sons while collecting wood for their fire.
- However, it is said that their camping spot was located right next to the main path, so Percy, Bill and Charlie may just have got lucky.
- It is also possible that the three eldest children did in fact go to find a map, and Percy was referring to them Apparating a short while ago.
- Since Percy is a very proud person who has just left Hogwarts, he may be simply bragging about his ability to Apparate, while his younger siblings cannot.
Read Also: What Is Second Harry Potter Book
And Where Should I Get It From
Easy! The Harry Potter books and audiobooks are available in all good bookshops, as well as online, and there are loads of different types to choose from including eBooks, audiobooks and illustrated editions. Enjoy this enchanting story in your favourite way.
Or why not borrow one from a library, or a willing friend or family member who has already had their wizarding education?
For now, heres the first chapter for free to get you started.
Chapter 1: The Chamber Of Secrets
- “Just the man. The very man. A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Taken into the Chamber of Secrets itself. Your moment has come at last.”
- Snape, giving Lockhart a mission
Moaning Myrtle explains her death, saying the last thing she saw was a pair of enormous eyes by one of the sinks, whose tap has never worked. Harry finds a snake carved on the tap and then opens the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets by speaking Parseltongue to it. Harry, Ron and Lockhart slide down a large pipe and find themselves in maze-like tunnels far under the school. Down there, they encounter a snake skin left by the Basilisk. Just then, Lockhart feigns fainting and he steals Ron’s wand. Victoriously proclaiming that he will erase Harry and Ron’s memories and tell everybody they lost their sanity at the sight of Ginny’s mangled body, Lockhart casts the Memory Charm. Ron’s broken wand causes the charm to backfire, erasing Lockhart’s memory and causing a portion of the ceiling to cave in. This traps Harry in the direction of the chamber and Ron in the direction of the castle. Ron has no choice but to stay behind and clear a path through the rocks while Harry continues in search of Ginny. Harry then encounters a wall with stone snakes on it, opens it by speaking Parseltongue, and enters the Chamber.
You May Like: How To Play Harry Potter On Piano
Chapter : In Memoriam
- It is said that Harry never learned how to repair wounds, but he did learn at least one spell for such a purpose: Episkey, a spell which he even used at least once during Quidditch practice during Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 14 . Perhaps episkey is only for minor lacerations, but Harry moves past this cut on his hand just by running some water over it and administering some Muggle first aid. If it wasn’t a minor laceration, he has no business ignoring it and should have called for an ambulance, and there is no indication that his otherwise untreated cut had impeded his wand hand for the rest of the book, or even that other characters even noticed it.
- It is said that Harry cannot use magic due to not coming of age for another four days. In chapter six, days have passed since the Battle over Little Whinging, but Harry states the Trace will break in four days.
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire Signed Uk 1st Edition
The first entry in our list already represents a staggering amount of money for a book that’s been out for just a little over two decades. However, compared to other editions in this book, the United Kingdom’s first edition of Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire actually represents a relatively modest price tag.
This is a first edition that is signed by JK Rowling herself, two things that explain why the book is worth $3,640 in the first place. First editions are very hard to come by, especially those that are signed by the author! It’s currently available on AbeBooks.
Also Check: Which Park Is Harry Potter World In
Chapter 1: The Goblet Of Fire
- Curiously, 1994 was the second year in a row in which Hallowe’en fell on a Saturday. In 1993, Professor Trelawney‘s prediction to Lavender Brown warned her that her worst fears would come true on Friday, 16 October. In 1994, 30 October was the date of the arrival of the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students and was a Friday the same day of the week it would have been in 1993 as the 30th fell exactly two weeks after the 16th. That is not possible because the same date does not fall on the same day of the week two years in a row.
- When explaining the structure of the tournament, Dumbledore says that the winner will be the champion with the highest points total at the end of the three tasks. However, come the final task, the points have been converted into a staggered start order, and the winner is the first to touch the cup. Either Dumbledore was wrong, the plans changed, or this is a mistake.
Harry Potter Book : Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix Book
Image Courtesy harrypotter.bloomsbury.com
Among the darker books in the Harry Potter book series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the first after Voldemort comes to life. Harry and his cousin Dudley are attacked by Dementors in Privet Drive and Harry uses the Patronus Charm to ward them off. He is then summoned to a hearing at the Ministry for performing magic in the presence of Muggles.
Harry is escorted to the temporary headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix where he spends the rest of the summer. Through the book, we see Harry being ignored by Dumbledore for some inexplicable reason which is revealed at the end. Meanwhile, the school has turned strange after the arrival of Dolores Umbridge, sent by the Ministry to keep an eye on Hogwarts and prevent news of Voldemorts return from spreading because the Ministry does not believe it to be true!
Dolores Umbridge makes life difficult at school and brings down the level of instruction drastically, sticking to theory rather than practical experience. Harry, Ron and Hermione get together to create Dumbledores Army, a secret society that trains students in spells that they may have to use against Death Eaters Voldemorts followers.
The book ends with a standoff between the Order of the Phoenix and Voldemort and his supporters at the Ministry of Magic. Sirius Black, Harrys Godfather is killed in this showdown. While this breaks Harrys heart, it strengthens his resolve to find and kill Voldemort.
Recommended Reading: How To Play Harry Potter Theme Song On Piano
Chapter 2: The Second Task
- In the Second Task, Viktor Krum transfigures his top half of his body into a shark’s head to swim underwater without the need of air. However, in Quidditch Through the Ages it clearly states that when transfigured into an animal, the wizard loses all sense of human thought and becomes the animal until another wizard can transfigure them back. Krum who transfigured his head into a shark really should have attacked Hermione and not been able to do the task at all. Although, it is possible that due to the fact that Krum only partially transfigured himself, he might still have some control over his thoughts and actions.
- Or, as The Marauders were able to be Animagi , Viktor Krum might be able to be Part-Animagus, but whether this is possible is unknown.
Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix Signed 1st Edition
The second entry on this list refers to the fifth installment of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter And The Order of The Phoenix. It’s for sale at AbeBooks, and it currently comes with a hefty price tag of almost $6,000.
The copy is a first United Kingdom edition, first published in 2003, in hardback. In addition to its rarity as a first edition, this book also includes JK Rowling’s signature on the cover. Pretty neat!
Chapter : Aunt Marge’s Big Mistake
- When Harry leaves the Dursley’s house after blowing up Aunt Marge like a balloon, he, at least in that moment, has the intention of never returning to the Dursleys’ home ever again. The bond of blood should have therefore been broken, making him fair game for Voldemort and/or the Death Eaters.
- It is possible that he may have known deep down that he would end up returning, even if he didn’t consciously want to at that moment.
Differences Between The British And The American Editions
Several variations exist between the British and the American editions of Harry Potter books. Most notable was the change of the title while Bloomsbury released the first book with the title of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone American Publishing House, Scholastic, used the term sorcerer instead of the philosopher to underline the magical nature of the story.
Differences go beyond the titles and also affect vocabulary. Instead of football or jumper, American editions use soccer and sweater. In America, the position of Minister for Magic is named Minister of Magic, and the same happens with the name of Hogwarts Divination teacher: Sybill vs. Sybil .
Unlock Your Free Trial
Mr. Dursley, a well-off Englishman, notices strangehappenings on his way to work one day. That night, Albus Dumbledore,the head of a wizardry academy called Hogwarts, meets Professor McGonagall,who also teaches at Hogwarts, and a giant named Hagrid outside theDursley home. Dumbledore tells McGonagall that someone named Voldemorthas killed a Mr. and Mrs. Potter and tried unsuccessfully to killtheir baby son, Harry. Dumbledore leaves Harry with an explanatorynote in a basket in front of the Dursley home.
Ten years later, the Dursley household is dominated bythe Dursleys son, Dudley, who torments and bullies Harry. Dudleyis spoiled, while Harry is forced to sleep in a cupboard under the stairs.At the zoo on Dudleys birthday, the glass in front of a boa constrictorexhibit disappears, frightening everyone. Harry is later punishedfor this incident.
Mysterious letters begin arriving for Harry. They worryMr. Dursley, who tries to keep them from Harry, but the letterskeep arriving through every crack in the house. Finally, he fleeswith his family to a secluded island shack on the eve of Harryseleventh birthday. At midnight, they hear a large bang on the doorand Hagrid enters. Hagrid hands Harry an admissions letter to theHogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry learns that the Dursleyshave tried to deny Harrys wizardry all these years.
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban 1st Edition Signed By The Movies’ Cast
We’ve already established that first editions can be worth quite a nice penny, to say the least. Even when we’re not talking about the first book of the series! For instance, this particular copy of the saga’s third book is a hardback first edition that comes with a pretty nice extra – hence the $7,372 price tag.
Aside from all the things that set it apart from the copies you can get at any bookstore, this book is signed by every single cast member of the Harry Potter movies, including the main trio Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint. You not only get the first edition, but you also get all the autographs you could possibly want! Available on AbeBooks.
You May Like: How To Tell What House Your In Harry Potter
Awards Honours And Recognition
The Harry Potter series has been recognised by a host of awards since the initial publication of Philosopher’s Stone including a platinum award from the Whitaker Gold and Platinum Book Awards , three Nestlé Smarties Book Prizes , two Scottish Arts Council Book Awards , the inaugural Whitbread children’s book of the year award , the WHSmith book of the year , among others. In 2000, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Novel, and in 2001, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire won said award. Honours include a commendation for the Carnegie Medal , a short listing for the Guardian Children’s Award , and numerous listings on the notable books, editors’ Choices, and best books lists of the American Library Association, The New York Times, Chicago Public Library, and Publishers Weekly.
/10 Neville’s Broken Wrist
In both the book and film, Neville falls off his broom in class, and breaks his wrist – leading Madam Hooch to leave with him, Harry to fly after the Remembrall, and get picked for the Quidditch team. In the film, that’s the last heard of Neville’s injury, but in the book, Harry meets him later, and is told that the nurse fixed it “in about a minute”. This comes into play later, when Harry is injured, and ends up having to regrow bones, because Professor Lockhart tried to fix it!
This isn’t a major change, but it is interesting to realize that Harry, and everyone else in his class, knew without a doubt how easy it was for Madam Pomfrey to fix bones. This then adds to the distrust and dislike of Lockhart, as they would have known just how badly he messed up the spell.
Don’t Miss: What Does Owl Stand For In Harry Potter