Norbert The Norwegian Ridgeback
- The part where the dragon Norbert is sent to Charlie Weasley is omitted. Instead, Hagrid later revealed to the Trio that Dumbledore sent him to Romania .
- In the book, when Harry and Hermione get detention, it is because they left the Invisibility Cloak in the Astronomy tower while sending Norbert to Charlie Weasley and were caught by Argus Filch at the foot of the stairs. In the film, they get detention because Draco Malfoy saw them in Hagrid’s hut past midnight .
- In the book, Neville was also given detention for being out of bed because he was trying to warn Harry about Malfoy and was caught by Professor McGonagall.
- Ron is also with them in the film, while in the book he was recovering in the hospital wing after being bitten by Norbert. Therefore, in the film, Ron gets detention instead of Neville.
Harry Potter Movies Ranked
Just like with the Harry Potter books, opinions on which entries in the series are the best are incredibly varied and subjective. Indeed, ranking the Harry Potter movies by their IMDb user scores reveals a remarkable consistency in fan response, with all eight instalments clustered between 7.4 and 8.1 out of 10.
The two Fantastic Beasts movies are noticeably the least loved entries in the Wizarding World, a fact perhaps reflected by the second movie’s drop in box office. The most successful of the two, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, made more money than just one of the Potter movies , but seeing as it had 12 years of inflation on its side, its debatable whether it actually outperformed the earlier film.
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
During Harry’s fourth year, Hogwarts plays host to a legendary event: the Triwizard Tournament. Three European schools participate in the tournament, with three ‘champions’ representing each school in the deadly tasks. The Goblet of Fire chooses Fleur Delacour, Viktor Krum, and Cedric Diggory to compete against each other. However, curiously, Harry’s name is also produced from the Goblet thus making him a fourth champion, which results in a terrifying encounter with a reborn Lord Voldemort.
Recommended Reading: Draco Middle Name
The Fantastic Beasts Screenplays
Unless you’ve been living under a rock this entire time, you’ve probably heard of the two new Wizarding World movies that have hit Hollywood in the past few years. Led by actor Eddie Redmayne and an all-star ensemble cast, the Fantastic Beasts films tell the story of Newt Scamander, Albus Dumbledore, and the dark battle against Gellert Grindelward in the blackened days before Lord Voldemort entered the scene.
Of course, you can choose to simply watch the continuation of the Wizarding World on-screen but reading the screenplays of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: the Original Screenplay and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald The Original Screenplay will undoubtedly give you that extra level of depth and insight into the characters.
Harry Potter Film Chronological Order
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Also Check: How Much Did Daniel Radcliffe Make From Harry Potter Movies
Did Bellatrix Kill Hermione
Bellatrix didnt kill Hermione but a real question should be WHY she didnt do that. It is well known Bellatrix tortured many Muggle-born and killed them as well, for her own amusement. At Malfoy Manor, Bellatrix had a great opportunity to kill Hermione who was literally saved by Godric Gryffindors sword.
‘harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix’ Movie Trivia
The ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’ is the continuation of the series after the movie ‘Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire.’
81. Question: What is the name of the pub where ‘Dumbledore’s Army’ is created?
Answer: The Hog’s head
82. Question: Who found the room of requirement in the movie?
Answer: Neville Longbottom
83. Question: The film ‘Harry Potter And The Order Of Phoenix’ had how many quidditch matches?
84. Question: Who kills Sirius Black in the ‘Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix’?
Answer: Bellatrix Lestrange
85. Question: Which Death Eater persuades Harry Potter in the Hall of Prophecies to turn in his prophecy?
Answer: Lucius Malfoy
86. Question: How old was the kid that Dudley beat up at the start of the movie, ‘Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix’?
87. Question: What place is used as the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix in ‘Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix’?
Answer: Sirius Black’s residence in London
88. Question: Who escorts Harry Potter to the Ministry for his hearing in the film ‘Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix’?
Answer: Arthur Weasley
89. Question: The Death Eaters have the Dark Mark on what side of their arm?
90. Question: Who gives Harry Potter Occlumency lessons in the film ‘Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix’?
Answer: Severus Snape
Answer: Remus Lupin
92. Question: What is Dumbledore’s full name in the ‘Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix’?
You May Like: What Harry Potter House Am I In Test
Who Is The Producer Of The Harry Potter Films
Heyman produced every film with his production company Heyday Films, while Kloves wrote for every film except Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which was written by Michael Goldenberg . While the sixth film was the most expensive to film, it was decided that the seventh book would be spilt in two, despite being shot as one film.
‘harry Potter And The Sorcerers’s Stone’ Movie Trivia
The movie was released in 2001 and is based on the first Harry Potter book written by J.K Rowling. Let’s see how well you do in this 1st Harry Potter movie trivia
1. Question: What animal do you see first in the movie?
Answer: An owl
2. Question: What did Harry Potter see in the mirror of Erised when he first came across it in the movie Harry Potter and The Sorcerer s stone?
Answer: Himself with his parents
3. Question: What type of animal does Professor McGonagall transform into in the movie ‘Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone’?
Answer: A cat
4. Question: Who was the first person seen at the beginning of the movie, ‘Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone’?
Answer: Professor Dumbledore
5. Question: Where does the Dursley family live?
Answer: Number Four, Privet Drive
6. Question: Who owns the flying motorcycle that Hagrid borrows to transport Harry to the Dursley house?
Answer: Sirius Black
7. Question: How do the members of the wizard community send their mail?
Answer: By Owl
8. Question: What is the first spell that was cast by Hermione?
Answer: Oculus Reparo
9. Question: After the death of his parents, how is the infant Harry described?
Answer: The boy who lived
10. Question: What happens when Harry is at the zoo with Dudley in the movie ‘Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone’?
Answer: The glass ceiling between Dudley and the boa constrictor disappeared
Answer: A blinding flash of green light
12. Question: Maggie Smith portrayed which character?
Read Also: What’s In Doxycide Penny
Differences From The Book
With the Goblet of Fire novel almost twice the length of Prisoner of Azkaban, the writers and producers reduced certain scenes and concepts to make the transition from page to screen. Director Mike Newell described the problem as one of compressing a huge book into the compass of a movie. This was achieved by putting aside all the components of the novel which did not directly relate to Harry and his journey.
Goblet of Fire is the first film adaptation not to begin at Privet Drive after the opening sequence, Harry awakens at the Burrow on the morning of the Quidditch World Cup.
The gameplay at the Quidditch World Cup was removed for timing reasons, leaving an abrupt temporal jump which some reviewers considered awkward or rushed. In the book, Harry and many of the Weasleys support Ireland, while in the film Harry and Ron support Bulgaria. Nonetheless, both of them admire the Bulgarian seeker Viktor Krum.
Rufus Scrimgeour Bill Nighy
No doubt youve seen a movie with Bill Nighy in it. Its a shame he only makes one appearance in the Harry Potter films, in Deathly Hallows: Part 1, but there are plenty of other great roles to see him in. Love Actually, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Underworld are just a few of his prominent film credits. Coming up, Nighy has Minamata with Johnny Depp, and right now you can see him in the latest iteration of Jane Austens Emma.
Don’t Miss: How To Watch Harry Potter Movies
Npr’s Critic Called It A Copycat Of The Book
Los Angeles Times film critic Kenneth Turan offered a mixed but overall positive review, focused on the movie’s extreme loyalty to the book.
“Like hulking NFL offensive linemen signed on to safeguard a valuable quarterback, every Harry Potter hire was made with an eye toward ensuring that hordes of fanatical fans won’t be disappointed,” he said on air.
Turan described that as both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, he said, “woe to those who would mess with that story.” On the other, even an impressive replica doesn’t leave much room for risk-taking, objection or celebration.
Still, he applauded the moviemakers for building a visually magical world and paring down the lengthy book without resorting to cliches or clunky dialogue. And he praised the leading trio of child actors as “excellent” .
“Despite its copycat nature, what finally saves ‘Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone’ is what created it in the first place: Rowling’s exceptional imagination,” Turan concluded. “At those moments when the film allows us to share in Harry’s wonder, it lets us recapture our own.”
Dolores Umbridge Imelda Staunton
After a perfect performance as the villain you loved to hate, Imelda Staunton went on to star in multiple theatre roles in London in which she received 5 Olivier Award Nominations, including a win for her performance in Gypsy. She has also kept up appearances on the silver screen with roles in both Maleficent films, both Paddington films, and an appearance in the Downton Abbey movie, alongside her husband, and Downton Abbey star, Jim Carter.
Recommended Reading: Avada Kedavra Wand Movement
Harry Potter And The Order Of Phoenix
We start the movie with Harry and his cousin Dudley encountering Dementors and after Harry has to use magic to save Dudley he is suspended from Hogwarts. After that Harry is forced to stay with the Order until his hearing in the Ministry.
Dumbledore manages to save Harry from getting expelled and he continuous to Hogwarts, where Harry and his friends are met with the new DADA teacher Dolores Umbridge. She was sent by the Ministry to stop the rumors of Voldemorts return from spreading in school.
To protest the Ministrys smear campaign against Albus Dumbledore and to spite professor Umbridge for not teaching the students anything useful they band together forming a group called Dumbledores Army.
The group of students starts learning magic on their own in the Room of Requirement and is later discovered by Umbridge after she used the Veritaserum o a student.
The students lead Umbridge to the Forbidden Forest and make their way to the Ministry where Harrys visions are taking place. After escaping the death eaters they found there Harry discusses his prophecy and how it affects him and Voldemort with Dumbledore.
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1
After unexpected events at the end of the previous year, Harry, Ron, and Hermione are entrusted with a quest to find and destroy Lord Voldemort’s secret to immortality the Horcruxes. It is supposed to be their final year at Hogwarts, but the collapse of the Ministry of Magic and Voldemort’s rise to power prevents them from attending. The trio undergo a long journey with many obstacles in their path including Death Eaters, Snatchers, the mysterious Deathly Hallows, and Harry’s connection with the Dark Lord’s mind becoming ever stronger.
Also Check: Are The Harry Potter Movies On Amazon Prime
Casting The Roles Of Harry Ron And Hermione
Daniel RadcliffeEmma WatsonRupert GrintHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2Trafalgar SquareLondon
In 2000, after a seven-month search, lead actor Daniel Radcliffe was discovered by producer David Heyman and writer Steve Kloves seated just behind them in a theatre. In Heyman’s own words, “There sitting behind me was this boy with these big blue eyes. It was Dan Radcliffe. I remember my first impressions: He was curious and funny and so energetic. There was real generosity too, and sweetness. But at the same time he was really voracious and with hunger for knowledge of whatever kind.”
Radcliffe had already established himself as an actor in the 1999 BBC television production of David Copperfield in which he played the title role’s childhood years. Heyman persuaded Radcliffe’s parents to allow him to audition for the part of Harry Potter, which involved Radcliffe being filmed. Rowling was enthusiastic after viewing Radcliffe’s filmed test, saying she didn’t think there was a better choice for the part of Harry Potter.
Also in 2000, the then unknown British actors Emma Watson and Rupert Grint were selected from thousands of auditioning children to play the roles of Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, respectively. Their only previous acting experience was in school plays. Grint was eleven years old and Watson ten at the time they were cast.
Yer A Relic Harry: The First Harry Potter Movie Premiered Exactly 20 Years Ago
The film that brought the wizarding world to life from Hogwarts to Hedwig to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is now 20 years old.
“Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” premiered on Nov. 16, 2001, four years after the series’ first book hit the shelves.
Seven books, eight movies, multiple theme parks, millions of book sales, a Broadway show and several spinoffs later, the beloved franchise has left its mark on millions of muggles. It has influenced everything from popular culture to children’s literature to classroom curriculums.
To celebrate, we’re dusting off our Pensieve to revisit NPR’s coverage of the very first movie.
Don’t Miss: What Harry Potter House Am I In Test
Open Letter On Justice And Open Debate
In July 2020, Rowling signed an open letter published in Harper’s Magazine titled “A Letter on Justice and Open Debate“, with 150 other public figures, largely writers and academics. The letter states in part, “The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted”, criticises “a vogue for public shaming and ostracism” and “a blinding moral certainty”, warns of fear spreading in the arts and media, and denounces President Donald Trump as “a real threat to democracy”. The letter sparked much debate about cancel culture . Rowling stated she was proud to sign the letter to defend “open debate and freedom of thought and speech”.
Objections to the letter included accusations that Rowling and the other signatories had powerful means to publish their opinions, and that it was disingenuous to attempt to silence others who might offer criticism of their views. Some thought that Rowling was trying to specifically suppress criticism about her statements concerning transgender topics. After learning who also signed the letter, Jennifer Finney Boylan expressed regret over her support, and stated she would not have signed had she known who the other signatories were. Rowling then sarcastically tweeted that Boylan should incur public penance for the association with her.
Quidditch Through The Ages
Or maybe it’s J.K. Rowling’s smash-hit sport, Quidditch, that tickles your fancy. Today, Quidditch is an actual sport played at over 100 colleges in the United States such is the strength of the grip that it’s exerted on our public imagination. But if you’re interested in the academic side of Quidditch, Rowling’s got you covered with Quidditch Through the Ages, which will tell you all that you ever wanted to know about the history and rules behind Quidditch.
You May Like: Albatross Patronus
The Harry Potter Movies In Chronological Order By Date Of Release
- Instant Watch Options
PG|152 min|Adventure, Family, Fantasy
An orphaned boy enrolls in a school of wizardry, where he learns the truth about himself, his family and the terrible evil that haunts the magical world.
PG|161 min|Adventure, Family, Fantasy
An ancient prophecy seems to be coming true when a mysterious presence begins stalking the corridors of a school of magic and leaving its victims paralyzed.
PG|142 min|Adventure, Family, Fantasy
Harry Potter, Ron and Hermione return to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for their third year of study, where they delve into the mystery surrounding an escaped prisoner who poses a dangerous threat to the young wizard.
Differences Between Philosopher’s Stone And Sorcerer’s Stone Films
- Five different takes were necessary to replace the words Philosopher’s Stone with Sorcerer’s Stone in the American version of the film. When the two DVDs were compared side by side it was noticed that in every case but one, only a slight difference in synchronisation was noticed. The most noticeable difference was when Hermione was reading from the book she had taken out of the library for a “bit of light reading”. The words on the page were changed from Philosopher’s to Sorcerer’s and her fingers, while straight in Philosopher’s they are bent in Sorcerer’s .
Read Also: What Point Of View Is Harry Potter Written In