From Albus To Draco Harry Potter Fans Named Their Children After Characters Of The Beloved Series We Asked Them And Their Kids How That Turned Out
As many young readers who grew up with Harry Potter became parents themselves, they have given their children names of characters from the series.
Hermione Marshall, a British teenager who works in a flower shop, was named after the heroine of the Harry Potter books and films. A 6-year-old in Ohio shares his name with Ollivander, the magical wandmaker from the series. Venerable wizard Albus Dumbledore has a namesakea second-grader from Las Vegas who loves a good outer-space joke.
Parents have long named their kids after favorite characters across pop culture. Game of Thrones fans called their girls Daenerys . Elsa became popular after Frozen came out. Now, as young readers who grew up with Harry Potter become parents themselves, they have given their children names straight out of the roll-call at Hogwarts.
Draco Dealing With The Differences
The phrase chip off the old block definitely doesnt feel relevant for Draco and Scorpius who seemed to have entirely different sensibilities from each other. While Draco spent his student days being cruel to Harry, scheming with Crabbe and Goyle, and relying on his own influential father Lucius whenever he needed a step up at school Scorpius championed geekiness, books and kindness. While still being sorted into Slytherin like his dad, and rocking a very similar blond hairstyle, the similarities between the two seem to be external rather than internal. And when Scorpius makes friends with Harry Potters son, Draco is initially livid that his own son has sided with his former enemy.
When Scorpius loses his mother, and Draco loses his wife Astoria, the pair seem to drift even further apart.
DRACOI cant talk to him either. Scorpius. Especially since Astoria has gone. I cant even talk about how losing her hasaffected him. As hard as I try, I cant reach him. You canttalk to Albus. I cant talk to Scorpius.Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Much like Harry and Albus, it took a couple of near-death experiences and the disruption of the entire wizarding world timeline for Draco to be able to truly see his son for what he was. And through it all, Draco began to soften even starting to get excited by farmers’ markets and if that isnt a classic dad trait, what is?
Video Answer: Kids From Harry Potter Then And Now
- Over on the anatomical left arm, there’s a little fehu or feoh, the first rune of the futhorc, which literally means “domestic cattle” as a symbol of wealth and resources. Good beginnings. What comes after it looks like a scrawl – might be peoh and upside-down ur or something else, followed by… an omega?
- The Dark Mark gets confusing because the name refers to both the snake and skull tattoo that wizards get in order to signify their Death Eater status as well as the actual symbol summoned in the sky through the use of the curse known as Morsmordre.
“It’s been common for popular children’s novels to be adapted into film but it took Harry Potter to show you could actually turn a book series into eight successful films and the audience would …
Don’t Miss: Cursed Child Canon
Reason To Dislike The Name James Sirius Potter
I dislike the fact that Sirius Blacks and James Potters names have to be smashed together into one name so we get a kid named James Sirius Potter.
How could Harry even think about doing this? Why didnt he separate the names instead so that one son gets the name Sirius as a first name while the other son gets James as a first name? It would have been so much better that way.
The explanation for that is this: In the first place, Harry didnt even know James Potter. James died before Harry could get the chance to get to know him.
The same goes with Lily Evans. But the one that Harry knew and was actually close to was his godfather, Sirius. Recall that he was even really upset and sad when Sirius died.
Albus Dumbledore Vs Sirius Black
What about Albus Dumbledore? Sure, Harry liked the Headmaster just fine but, come on, is the Headmaster of a school he goes to better than his own godfather who is the best friend of his father?
Harry could have at least put Albus as a middle name for one of his sons and this wouldnt be all that objectionable either though Im also not exactly fond of this guy.
Also Check: How Many Words In Sorcerer’s Stone
Wicked Villain Names That We Love
Whilst these characters may have been on the darker side, their names are spellbindingly powerful and unique.
70. Alecto: a powerful witch. Alecto is a fury in Greek mythology.
71. Amycus: a professor at Hogwarts who was also a death eater.
72. Barty: the shortened form of Bartemius meaning honourable son. A wise and cunning death eater.
73. Bellatrix: means female warrior. Bellatrix is one of Voldemorts most loyal followers. Bellatrix is a unique and gorgeous baby girl name.
74. Cornelius: means horn. The unpopular but smart minister of magic.
75. Dolores: means sorrow.Dolores was a headmistress at Hogwarts.
76. Draco: means dragon. Draco Malfoy is the enemy of Harry Potter at school.
77. Fenrir: a wolf in Norse mythology. Fenrir is a werewolf.
78. Gellert: means brave with a spear. Gellert is an incredibly famous wizard.
79. Gregory: means watchful.One of Dracos sidekicks.
80. Lucius: means light bearer. Luciusis Dracos father.
81. Macnair: a cool name inspired by this executioner.
82. Narcissa: means daffodil.She is Dracos mother.
83. Orion: means son of fire. Orion was Sirius Blacks more dark father.
84. Peter: means rock.Peter has the ability to turn into a rat.
85. Rudolphus: means fame. He is Bellatrixs husband/sidekick.
86. Tom: means purity. Tom Riddle is the original name of Voldemort.
87. Vincent: means to conquer. Vincent Crabbe is Dracos henchman.
88. Yaxley: Yaxley fought in the first wizarding war.
Prisoner Of Azkaban Director Alfonso Cuarngave A Very Special Homework Assignment To Daniel Radcliffe Emma Watson And Rupert Grint
Alfonso Cuarón got Watson, Radcliffe, and Grint to write essays about their characters from a first person point of view.
They all responded exactly as their characters would Daniel wrote a page, Emma wrote 10 pages and Rupert didnt deliver anything saying I didnt do mine, because I didnt think Ron would. Or that was my excuseit felt right because thats what Ron would have done.
Don’t Miss: What Hogwarts House Are You Pottermore
Why Did Ron And Hermione Name Their Son Hugo
Hugo Granger-Weasley was born about two years after his older sister Rose. Like Rose, he was also attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was sorted into Gryffindor house.
To fit into the red-hair Weasley family, Hugos brown hair, from the books, became red in the movies. Hugo appeared in the series, actually in the movie Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows: Part 2, and he was portrayed by Ryan Turner, an English teen actor.
Hugo is a Latinised form of the Germanic or Teutonic name Hugh, meaning bright in spirit and mind or simply intelligence. One of the most famous bearers of this name is the French novelist and poet Victor Hugo, which works J. K. Rowling admitted to loving.
We are familiar with the fact that Hugos mother Hermione was a book lover, so it is possible she enjoyed Victor Hugos work as well, enough to name her son after him. Likewise, it would not be strange that Hermione wanted to anger her husband Ron by naming her son after Viktor Krum, a Bulgarian wizard from the Durmstrang Institute. Ron never forgave her for being his partner on the famous Yule Ball.
Ron: No way our son is going to be named Victor!
Hermione: Why not? Oh, I see, you are still jealous of Victor Krum. I mean still after all these years? Honestly Ron, grow up!
Ron: My answer is still no.
Hermione: How about Hugo Victor then?
Ron: Fine, but then our daughter will be Rose Lavender.
Order Of The Phoenix Names
The Order of the Phoenix is a group of good witches and wizards fighting against the Dark Lord. These Harry Potter baby names are perfect to set your child up to be a strong fighter for justice.
57. Alastor: means avenger. He isalso known as Mad-Eye Moody.
58. Andromeda: means ruler of men. Andromeda is the sister of Bellatrix Lestrange but an ally to the Order.
59. Arabella: means yielding to power. Arabella watched over Harry Potter as a boy.
60. Elphias: means eager for war. Elphias is one of Dumbledores oldest friends.
61. Emmeline: means hardworking and s sweet girl name.
62. Fletcher: means seller of arrows.Mundungus Fletcher is a member of the Order.
63. Hestia: is an Auror. Hestia was the Greek goddess of the hearth.
64. James: means supplanter. James is Harrys father.
65. Kingsley: means from the kings meadow. He worked for the Ministry of Magic.
66. Lily: Lily J. Potter is Harrys mother.
67. Molly: The mother of the Weasley family.
68. Nymphadora: Nymphadora Tonks is one quirky member of the Order. Her name has reference to nymphs in Greek mythology.
69. Rufus: means red-haired. Rufus Scrimgeour becomes a Minister of Magic.
Read Also: How To Make Nimbus 2000
Also Check: How Old Was Emma Watson In Harry Potter 5
Hermione Granger And Ron Weasley
Hermione and Ron have also enjoyed romantic happiness and have two children, Rose and Hugo. Ron joined Harry as an Auror at the Ministry of Magic, where they revolutionized the department. After only two years, Ron left the Ministry to co-manage the wizarding joke emporium Weasleys Wizard Wheezes, alongside his brother George. His greatest achievement to date remains getting his picture on a Chocolate Frog Card.
Hermione was the only member of the original trio to complete her schooling at Hogwarts. After which, she went on to a successful career in the Ministry of Magic. She began her path continuing the work of S.P.E.W. at the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, where she promoted better treatment of house-elves. In spite of her slightly-unhinged house elf obsession, she eventually became Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement before rising to the top job of Minister of Magic.
Dont Miss: Harry Potters Nimbus 2000
Why Did Harry Potter Name A Child After Snape Jk Rowling Explains Albus Severus’ Name On Twitter
The names of Harry Potters children are a sore spot for many Potterheads. In J.K. Rowlings seventh book, 2007s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, it was revealed that Harry named his children after people hed known. James Sirius, Albus Severus and Lily Luna are the names he and wife Ginny Weasley chose, but its the middle child that many fans take issue with. Though Severus Snape helped Harry defeat Voldemort, he also spent several years bullying Harry. Rowling explained on Twitter why the famous wizard chose to give the name to his son.
It started with a fan asking a simple question about why Snapes name was chosen. Rowling responded on Twitter:
Snape died for Harry out of love for Lily. Harry paid him tribute in forgiveness and gratitude.
However, Rowlings timeline quickly started blowing up with what she called love & fury. She wrote over a dozen more tweets about the subject. Rowling noted that Snape is all grey. He had done some horrible things, like project his feelings about Harrys father onto Harry, but he also helped save the Wizarding World.
Ultimately, Harrys decision was in large part about who he was after the Wizarding War and involved several factors. Not only was he carrying on Snapes name, but he also felt some guilt for the deaths in the war.
Harry chose to perpetuate the names of the two who had nobody in their families to do so.
Recommended Reading: What Happened To The Original Dumbledore
Harry Potter Dog Names
The Harry Potter universe has some prominent dogs or dog-like creature. The following names are perfect for a Harry Potter pup:
- Fang: Hagrids gargantuan Neapolitan Mastiff
- Fenrir: For Fenrir Greyback, a savage werewolf and enemy of Harry Potter
- Fluffy: The enormous three-headed dog guarding the trapdoor that led to the sorcerers stone
- Lupin: Harrys former professor, friend, and a member of the Order of the Phoenix he is a werewolf
- Padfoot: Siriuss name when he is in dog form, a nickname received from his childhood friends
- Sirius: Harrys godfather, an anamagis who can transform himself into a dog
At The End Of The Last Book The Reader Gets A Glimpse At Harry Potter’s Life After The Battle Of Hogwarts The Names Of His Kids And Their Meaning Are Explained Below
In the last chapter of ‘Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows’, entitled ‘Nineteen Years Later’, many of the main characters of the book make a re-appearance and we learn to know the next generation of wizards and witches that is about to enter Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy. Here the names of Harry and Ginny Potter’s kids and some links to further resources for your own research.
Don’t Miss: Harry Potter Oscars Wins
Where To Find Out More About The World Of Harry Potter
First of all, sign up to my articles here on Wizzley, I plan to write a lot about Harry Potter in the near future. You can do so easily by adding my rss feed to your reader, here the handy link for you:
Next step would be, to read the books and see the movies, if you haven’t already done so. If you are missing one or more, check my article > Harry Potter List of Books< or order them from Amazon, handy selection below -)
What Are The Names Of Harry Potters Kids
After the Battle of Hogwarts in 1998, Harry and Ginny rekindled their relationship, got married, and had three children: James Sirius, Albus Severus, and Lily Luna. They are all named after people whom Harry and Ginny have a close relationship with and go on to influence their lives. They most likely chose these names to honor those people.
Also Check: Hermione’s Beaded Bag
Who Likes The Names Of Harry Potters Kids
For me, I wasnt exactly all that fond of their names. It was rather disappointing. I can see why Harry would want to name his children after his parents and even his godfather and thats perfectly fine with me.
Thats not the problem at all and thats not the reason for my disappointment in said names. The problem is how the names were placed together as well as the other names.
Harry And Ginny Potters Kids Names
James Sirius Potter is the oldest son of Ginny and Harry Potter and named after Harrys father and godfather . He is a Gryffindor like most of his family. He seems to have inherited a bit of the Weasley obnoxiousness. As he sees Victoire kissing Teddy Lupin , he has to tell everybody about it -) He also teases his younger brother Albus mercilessly, that he could end up being selected into Slytherin House, something that Albus fears. Their mother Ginny Potter exclaims in the book You are so like Ron
Albus Severus Potter is Ginny and Harrys second son and named after the two headmasters Hogwarts had during Harrys and Ginnys time there, Prof. Albus Dumbledore and Prof. Severus Snape. He fears, for unknown reasons, to be selected into Slytherin House, to reassure him Harry says: Albus Severus, you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew. He also explains to Albus that the sorting hat takes a students wishes into account, as he knows this from his own experience.
Lily Luna Potter is the youngest child and only daughter of Ginny and Harry. She is named after Harrys mother and, my guess, Luna Lovegood, an original member of Dumbledores Army and friend of Ginny and Harry. In the book she wants to go to Hogwarts NOW and is not really reassured, as her parents tell her that it is only two years until she can join her two brothers at school.
Don’t Miss: Types Of Brooms In Harry Potter
Names Of Magical Creatures
These Potter inspired baby names might be of the mystical creatures within the wizarding world, but they also make unique, interesting, and fierce baby names.
89. Aragog: a giant spider very beloved by Hagrid. Aragogs name has reference to arachnids.
90. Errol: means “earl”. Errolis the Weasleys’ owl.
91. Fawkes: the name of Dumbledore’s Phoenix. It is a nod to Guy Fawkes.
92. Firenze: means “flower”. He isa centaur and the professor of Divination.
93. Hermes: the screech owl owned by Percy Weasley. Hermes is the Greek messenger god.
94. Myrtle: means “flowering shrub”.Moaning Myrtle is the name of the student ghost from the Chamber of Secrets.
95. Nagini: means “snake”.Nagini isthe snake Horcrux.
96. Olympe: means “Olympian”. Also known as Madame Maxime of Beauxbatons.
97. Phoenix: is a beautiful bird in Greek mythology and Dumbledore’s pet.
98. Veela: magical creatures similar to sirens in Greek mythology.
All The Spells Are In Latin
The spells in Harry Potter are made up from Latin words. For example Lumos which turns a wand into a torch comes from the Latin word lumen which means light and Obliviate comes from the Latin word obliviscor which means I forget.
The Hogwarts motto is also Latin and says Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus which means Never tickle a sleeping dragon. Dont say we didnt warn you!
Recommended Reading: What Does Harry Potter Do After Hogwarts